2023 Christmas Tree Statistics, Facts and Trends
Ever since Queen Victoria popularized the Christmas tree, members of the realm have enthusiastically followed suit.
Christmas Trees and Decorations
British Christmas Tree Growers Association surveys their members and conducts surveys of the general public each year and provides statistics. It is
noteworthy that not all Christmas tree farms are members of the BCTGA; our websites includes ALL Christmas tree farms which are open to the public,
whether they are members of the BCTGA , another association, or none.
The British Christmas Tree Growers Association says that about 7 million Christmas trees (the range is 6 to 8 million) are sold in the UK
every Christmas season.
- 85% of UK homes have a Christmas tree each year.
- But 10.5% of the populations (called "Scrooges" ) never put a Christmas tree up
- The remaining 5% sometimes put a tree up.
Most popular varieties in the United Kingdom
The most popular varieties in the UK are
- Nobel Fir
- Fraser Fir
- Lodgepole Pine
But there are many other varieties as well, such as the Scots Pine. See this page for descriptions of each variety.
The 2022 median (midpoint) price is expected to be about £60. Compare this with the
- 2022 price = Typical 7 ft tree is £48 to £70
cheapest tree lot £14.99 for a medium tree (1.5m-1.75m/5-6ft) and £24.99 for a large
But they go up from there. Here's a sampling:
Tree farms 2022 prices
- Sussex Trees Fraser Fir, Sussex Fir, Douglas Fir, Blue Spruce ; 4ft - £36 ; 5ft - £45 ; 6ft - £55 ; 7ft -
£63 ; 8ft - £80t
- Langford Lakes (Somerset) 4 - 5 feet/1.2 - 1.5m. £32. ; 5 - 6 feet/1.5 - 1.8m. £38; 6 - 7 feet/1.8 - 2.1m. £45;
7 - 8 feet/2.1 - 2.4m. £57; 8 - 9 feet/2.4 - 2.7m £70
- Fillingham (East Midlands)
100-125cm (Approx 3ft) £16.00, 200-225cm (Approx
7ft) £30.00, 225-250cm (Approx 8ft) £40.00, 250-275cm (Approx 9ft) £50.00, on up past 400-450cm (Approx 15ft) £100.00
125-150cm (Approx 4ft) £30.00, 150-175cm (Approx 5ft) £35.00, 175-200cm (Approx 6ft) £40.00, 200-225cm (Approx 7ft) £45.00, 225-250cm (Approx
8ft) £55.00, , 50-300cm (Approx 9ft) £65.00
300-350cm (Approx 11ft) £95.00
150-175cm (Approx 5ft) £25.00, 175-200cm (Approx
- Aldi's: £14.99 for a medium tree (1.5m-1.75m/5-6ft) and £24.99 for a large tree (1.8m-2.1m/6-7ft).
- B&Q's cut Nordmann Firs £19 for 1.2m-1.5m (4-5ft), £29 for 1.5m-1.75m (5-6ft) and £39 for 1.8m-2.1m (6-7ft). Now offering delivery
for £5 but it's free for orders over £50.
- Ikea's Nordmann is £29 and you get a £20 Ikea voucher to spend in the new year.
For more about Christmas tree prices and factors that affect them, see this page.
10 million new fake trees were
purchased in 2017.
Want to compare the advantages and disadvantages or real vs. artificial Christmas trees?
Where are the trees grown?
Christmas Trees are grown for sale in all areas of the UK, of course, one thinks of Scotland, growers are everywhere. Many Christmas trees
are also imported, especially from Norway.
Where are trees purchased?
It looks like half of all consumers are equally split between
going to a tree farm verses a big box store. Nurseries, tree lots
and non-profit groups make up the other half.
Christmas tree facts
- A typical 6 to 7 feet high Christmas tree is between 10 and 12 years old.
- 3 to 4 year old seedlings grown in a nursery are planted by tree farmers and are then grown to maturity.
- A Christmas tree takes between 4 to 15 years to grow to a
typical height (6 - 7 feet) depending upon the variety,
weather, etc.; the average growing time is 7 years.
- The grower fertilises, shapes and prunes the trees, so the ear healthy and cone-shaped. .
- For every Real Christmas Tree harvested, 1 to 3 seedlings
are planted the following spring.
- There are about 2,000 Christmas tree farms in the U.K.,
- The roughly 500 million Christmas trees currently growing on
commercial tree farms around the world are busy sucking up carbon from the
atmosphere! See the graphic at right.
- Christmas Tree Associations - National, regional and local
- Center for a New American Dream,
Agricultural Marketing Resource Center
- St. Paul Pioneer Press,
University of Illinois Extension.Christmas Trees and More,
National Christmas Tree Association (NCTA).
Pacific Northwest Christmas Tree Association.
- Harper's Index,
- The Joy of Cooking,
- Department of Defense,
- Unity Marketing,
- National Christmas Tree Association,
- USDA Economic Research Service,
- Guinness Book of World Records 2006,
- US Census,
US Department of Agriculture
- US Department of Commerce,
- Charity Navigator,
- Giving Institute,
- The White House,
- US Postal Service.
Other Tree tips: